Friday, January 9, 2009

Arkansas Coon Supper: The Political Event of the Year

Tonight, the who’s who of Arkansas politics will descend of the small town of Gillett, Arkansas to take part in one of their most proud traditions, eating the flesh of an animal known mainly as road kill. The 64th Annual Gillett Coon Supper is something not to be missed but unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your perspective on coon meat) I have never been. So I got in touch with someone who has - Gov. Mike Beebe’s spokesman Matt DeCample.

DeCample lamented that he will have to miss out of the annual coonfest this year but he could not quite describe the taste, as according to him, “The taste of coon is something that must be experienced, not described.”

DeCample did say that Gov. Beebe will definitely be making the trip down to Gillett telling me that the governor got his first taste of coon by in 1982 when he was running for the Arkansas State Senate District that includes Arkansas County. Although he has not made it every year, Gov. Beebe never tries to pass up the chance to eat coon.

Man, I love covering Arkansas politics! Next year, I have got to find a veteran coon eater to take me down to Gillett!

UPDATE – I just received a personal invitation from my own State Senator Shane Broadway. Next year, Shane; it’s on!

1 comment:

Jason Tolbert, CPA said...

From my own State Sen. Shane Broadway....

"Jason,

Tried to leave a note for you on your blog, but not that high tech just yet. But have just returned to beautiful Saline County from the 66th Annual Gillett Coon Supper and saw your posting. As your State Senator and as one who is serious about constituent service you have a standing inviation to travel with me to enjoy this great experience!"