Thursday, December 11, 2008

Breaking Rule Number One: Gwen Moritz not Gwenn Warrick

I must confess to my readers to breaking rule number one of the news game. I got someone’s name wrong, and a journalist no doubt. Ouch! Gwen Moritz, editor of Arkansas Business, informs me of my tragic error. In my post yesterday "The Great Fisher Brummett Debate", I said “Gwenn Warrick with Arkansas Business asked how CYN is monetizing (that is fancy journalist talk for making money) the web.” Moritz also informs me that monetize is more of an accounting term and not a journalist term so I guess my accounting skills need some polishing as well because I don’t think I had ever used it before this week. Although I was able to figure out what it means without using Google.

She also really hit me where it hurts by telling me that David Kinkade got it right. Wow, that one is a low blow. Now Kinkade can boast about not only being the most handsome blogger but also the better journalist; however, a source (its Blake) tells me that Blake Rutherford is contesting Kinkade's claim. Perhaps we can have some sort of bloggers beauty contest to see for sure. Although the swimsuit portion could be very scary.

But back to my main point here and that is my apology. Mrs. Moritz, first of all, thank you for reading my blog. I do enjoy your publication as well, which I of course read online. And second and more importantly, I offer my sincere and heartfelt apology for getting your name wrong. I was taking the notes off my flip camera, misheard it, and typed it incorrectly. And for that, I am truly sorry. I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me and perhaps even provide a link in your publication to my apology here on my blog.


Now there will be some in the old media guard who will get a laugh at one of the new non-professional journalists making such a rookie mistake in a post about the debate between the old and the new media. They may even say that this proves the superiority of the old media with their pesky little fact checking, source confirmations, proofing and all that other old school stuff. But let me just correct you right there. This no way proves that. It merely proves a fact that most any reader of my blog already knows and that is this - I am an idiot.

3 comments:

DumbArkie said...

Hey, we all make mistakes, but at least you didn't bury the correction on page 13 below the fold between the two fake news articles that have to have "Advertisement" written around the border.

Zine said...

Mistakes happen. No blood, no foul.

Oh, and I didn't have to read your blog to know you were an idiot. I've known that for a while. ;)

Jason Tolbert, CPA said...

Thanks Zine; my wife agrees. She looked at that "print is dead" t-shirt this morning and told me "you are becoming sort of weird."