Sunday, September 21, 2008

Signs of the Times

I have recently blogged about the McCain’s Campaign decision not to invest in yard signs in Arkansas and other non-battleground states. To be clear, I agree with this decision. Has anyone ever really made the decision of whom they would cast their vote for President of the United States based on a sign they saw in a yard? In my opinion, yard signs are more important for local elections, in which many times voters have very little information on the candidates. If a voter sees a sign for a local candidate in the yard of someone they know and respect this can make a big difference, especially if this is all they know about the election. My neighborhood is running over with signs. On my evening walk tonight, I counted 16 signs out of the 21 houses on my block, that includes the two candidate signs and my “Vote Pro Life” sign in my front yard.

For what its worth, it seems McCain is winning the national sign battle. Liberal blogger Daily Kos complains today that the Obama Campaign is unwilling to spend money on signs in the author’s home area of Northern Virginia, choosing instead to focus on phone calls and door knocks. He further complains that his neighborhood in running over with McCain/Palin signs. Hmm, so it seems to me that while McCain is choosing to send in signs to the battleground states; Obama is not even buying signs there. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

No comments: