Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Mike Huckabee on Rush Limbaugh

Gov. Mike Huckabee was a guest today on Rush Limbaugh’s radio program. It is rare for Rush to have a guest on his show so this was a rare occasion. Evidently Gov. Huckabee asked to be on the show to clear up some remarks Rush had previously made. Rush had stated that Huckabee’s opposition to Mitt Romney for Vice President was based on the fact that Romney is Mormon and that Huckabee had used this to stir up the Evangelical base against Romney.

Huckabee spoke to Rush from New York City where I believe he is in town for another appearance on “The Colbert Report.” Huckabee clarified that he was not opposed to Romney as Vice President based on religion, but rather because Romney “beat us (Huckabee and McCain) up on the issues” during the Primary and that he believes Obama will use this against McCain in the same way McCain used the comments Biden made regarding Obama. In addition, Huckabee is not comfortable with Romney's record on important issues such as the right to life. Huckabee stated that he will support McCain no matter who his Vice President is but that he felt a pro-choice pick such as Tom Ridge or Joe Lieberman “would be a disaster.” Huckabee said that he would rather see McCain choose someone like Tim Pawlenty or a surprise pick that could rally the conservative base.

Of course, it would not have been a Huckabee media appearance without some memorable Huckabee quotes. Rush asked Huckabee if he was on the short list and Huckabee said “I don't even think I'm on the long list. I have not been asked to pack a bag to go to Dayton on Friday so I don't think there's any illusion. If he's looking for a female the closest I would get is if they would ask me to maybe dress in drag and run that way but I don't think that's going to happen, so, no, I don't think I'm on the list at all.”

No comments: