Monday, August 11, 2008

Candid Interview with Gov. Huckabee, VP Unlikely.

Kane Webb with the Arkansas Democrat Gazette had an interesting interview with Gov. Huckabee this weekend. He discusses his new book about the Campaign, his new television show, and is remarkably candid about his political future. Here are some highlights…

WEBB: Let’s play What If. What if you had won South Carolina?

HUCKABEE: I’d be the nominee.

WEBB: Have you been vetted or approached about this vice presidential business? Would you know if you had been vetted? What can you tell me about that?

HUCKABEE: I can tell you the truth. Nobody has contacted me from the McCain campaign and said, you know, we want a credit report. First of all, they probably wouldn’t have to. I’ve been a candidate. I’ve been about as vetted as a guy can get. But have they contacted me specifically? No. They have not. And I don’t expect to be. I’m not being coy. I just don’t think I’m on their list. I’ve no reason to think that I am.

WEBB: Who do you think he’ll pick?

HUCKABEE: I am totally in a fog about where his thinking is. I can’t figure out where he’s going.

WEBB: Do you know what your role will be at the Republican convention?

HUCKABEE: I don’t know what I’m going to be doing officially. . . . It would be beyond imagination if I didn’t get a prime speaking spot. I came in second. I would think that I’ve earned the right to be there.

WEBB: If McCain wins and offers you a position in his administration, would you consider it?

HUCKABEE: No. No way.

WEBB: Why?

HUCKABEE: Why would I want to do that? What possible reason? I’m gonna have a good life out here in the private sector. Why would I go back to telling everybody in the world how much money I make and being limited to what I can make and living in a very expensive city and barely surviving to have some obscure Cabinet post and have some 20-year-old from the White House telling me what I’m gonna do? Thanks but no thanks. I have better things to do with my life.

WEBB: If McCain loses, will you run in 2012?

HUCKABEE: You know, I don’t know. … I’d be foolish to say, oh no, I would never consider it. A couple of things, I’m the only guy who came out of this thing better off than I started. I do have the experience of what it’s like. What to do and what not to do. Youngest guy on the stage. I’ll be 53 in August. That’s maybe not young but as I look at the landscape in our party, I’m a kid. I wouldn’t rule anything out.

No comments: